Best Project Management Tools for Remote Work in 202211 min readReading Time: 8 minutes
Since the Covid 19 pandemic hit, companies are now open to having their teams work remotely. This has brought the need for remote working tools to help with the work processes. These tools include project management tools to help project managers across different industries.
This post will look at the top remote work toolkits ideal for large and small teams based on their pricing, features, and functionality.
List of Best Project Management Tools
Werk is a collaboration project management tool designed for both hybrid and remote teams. It is designed with different channel structures for your projects, topics, or teams to message and create voice rooms. Additionally, it creates rich docs, tracks your tasks, saves your files, and views your deadlines through the task calendar.
Werk stands out from other remote work tool kits by providing a better user experience, faster communication, and excellent usability. Further, you can quickly join Voice rooms with the click of a button, and it gives thread chats meaning you can never lose a message.
In addition, it features a task manager where you can create different tasks and rich docs to where you can easily share and work on documents. Werk also has a task calendar to see your deadlines, which can sometimes be easily confusing.
Free plan- Ideal for new starters, solo projects, and school projects
Pro plan- 5$ per month Ideal for teams, startups, and companies
Enterprise Plan- Ideal for medium and big companies with extended analytics and permissions
· Easy to use interface
· Great usability
· Has a free plan
· Excellent remote work tool kit with exceptional functionality
· Free plan limits to 5 channels which are not efficient
Clickup is an easily customizable project management tool with impressive features. It is the perfect tool for task and process management. Further, you can also assign different teams with different tasks.
ClickUp features a Google calendar with two-way sync, mock image-ups, and activity stream mentions. In addition, you can integrate it with 57 apps for easy collaboration through other apps.
$5 per month
· Easy to use
· Can sync with your Google calendar
· Has a wide variety of collaboration with other remote work tool kits
· Has a fair price point
· No code-feature set
· 24/7 real-time support
· Does not include time tracking
· Not many viewing options
Monday efficiently implements multiple projects with various team members and contractors via a visual role and task clarity. This project management tool also has assignment features grouped and organized based on the different project aspects.
Monday provides an easy and approachable way to integrate clients, contractors, and teams through a central hub of well-organized columns of notes, due dates, status updates, and categories.
Moreover, Monday is great for work automation for an overall streamlined process and transparency while assigning tasks and projects.
Paid plan starts from $39 per month with up to five users
· Have an appealing user interface
· Different views such as calendar views and map view
· Improved automation processes
· The app is hard to navigate
· Recurring tasks not built-in
Notion provides a project management tool for both solopreneurs and teams as well. It is ideal for teams that require flexibility and versatility.
This remote work tool kit features notes and documentation management where users can add different contents such as code, videos, bookmarks, and images. It further features the drag and drop feature that helps you arrange the content in different ways.
The project management tool also gives teams tools to plan, track and update different projects from a single platform. Notion also supports at-mentions for direct communication among team members.
Free for up to 5 guests
Personal Pro- $5 per month
Team- $8 per month
Enterprise- Customized based on your organization needs
· User friendly with responsive technical support
· It is an all in one solution for users
· Has a clutter-free interface with built-in customization that enables individuals and teams to effortlessly organize their tasks and projects.
· The app takes a while to set up, especially for team collaborations
· There is a need to improve the search and navigation buttons
· Formatting texts also needs improvement, especially when using copy/paste
Rock is an all-in-one project management tool designed for distributed teams. It has a messaging platform, notes, tasks, meetings, file storage, and meetings all in one place. This remote work tool is ideal for different departments and industries as well.
Rock gets your team together to get the work done.
It provides streamlined communication and collaboration with project boards, unlimited tasks, filters, to-do lists, deadlines, and more. In addition, Rock features different task views such as Kanban boards, compact views, list views help, and advanced filtering functionality.
The project management tool also has seamless integrations with apps such as Zoom, Github, Zapier, Google Drive, and more
Pro- $4.99 per month
· Integrated with different collaborative tools
· Appealing User interface
· Multiple views such as compact view and Kanban
· Does not offer a free version
Nifty is a new wave of project management tools that helps reduce project development cycles and aids in improving productivity by combining all project management software in one place.
It provides project-specific progress that helps keep your teams inspired while ensuring the organization’s milestone-driven schedule. In addition, Nifty allows you to manage tasks through the list view and Kanban view.
It also has an in-built calendar that can be integrated with Google.
Collaborating on Nifty comes seamlessly with each project having a discussion thread that encourages project-specific communication. Further, it integrates with GitHub, which makes it unique by encouraging cross-departmental collaboration than other apps.
Nifty has exceptional customer support that ensures that everything works all the time seamlessly. This remote work tool kit has a support team that guarantees that you make an easy transition from other project management software.
$39/month for 10 team members
$79/month for 25 team members
$124/month for 50 team members
With each of these plans, you can invite as many guests that you would want at no extra cost
· Efficient task management through comprehensive Gnatt chart functionality
· Easy to set up and use with an intuitive user interface
· Inbuilt chat functionality that has all the charts localized in a single place to ensure accessibility
· Integrates with various meeting platforms and document management tools
· Tracks time and expenses
· Does not offer a free version
· Frequent updates will require you to keep reauthorizing integrated apps
Basecamp is an efficient project management tool that project managers widely use. It has several collaboration features, such as the designated discussion areas where users leave comments.
The remote tool kit also offers a recap of your team’s projects, such as updates and status, which are always sent out daily to your email. You can also contribute to discussions through email.
In addition, Basecamp has a powerful search tool that helps you find any conversation or file. You can easily delegate tasks, create projects, start chats, monitor progress, add file attachments and automatically update your team members’ to-do list status.
Free plan for teachers and students
$99/month for businesses
· Has an easy to learn and use platform
· Ability to create client-specific projects
· Built-in communication features
· Exceptional customer support
· Has no time tracking for projects
· Does not have labels and tags, which is a common feature in other project management tools
· Does not feature analytical tools that offer insightful project information
· Limited chat management
Wrike is a cloud-based collaboration and project management tool that helps track the day-to-day operation of an organization. The platform ensures that a project is finished at a given time frame and has a pre-determined cost.
Wrike can be integrated with other business tools such as Microsoft Excel, Google Apps, Dropbox, and many more. In addition, Wrike also provides the option to transform emails into tasks. Email integration ensures that you can create, assign, and edit documents from your email account.
- Free version -$0
- Professional versions- $9.80/user/month for 5-15 users
- Business version-$24.80/user/month for 5-200 users
- Version for marketer- $34.60/user/month
- Enterprise- pricing available on request
· Automated workflows for repeating tasks and processes
· User-friendly dashboard
· Good search engine
· Exceptional customer service
· Quite expensive
· Limited mobile functionality
· Lacks UI customization
Remotion is ideal for users who do not like to schedule long meetings, especially for remote workers. This remote work tool kit puts your team on your desktop, and you can see who is free for a quick video chat. It brings teams together through face-to-face collaboration.
Remotion provides lightweight video chatting and screen sharing for remote teams.
· Remotion is easy to use
· Excellent motion graphics
· No cons yet
What Are the Features to Consider When Looking for A Project Management Tool?
Remote work will require all your teams to communicate as seamlessly as possible with collaboration and tracking the time it takes to get done. You will need a project management tool that easily integrates with popular apps such as Google Drive, Skype, Jira, Slack, and other remote work tools.
It is equally vital for the software to connect with other CRM systems.
The User Interface
Teams need a user interface that is easy to use and attractive. Choose a user interface that is good at screen sharing, easy to navigate, and attractive to look at for more than eight hours in a day.
Also, ensure that the UI is optimized for mobile apps, often used for communication by remote workers.
Value for money
Check if the software’s price point matches its features and capabilities.
Your remote teams do not have I house support in case they run into any problem. So you should ensure that any software you choose has loads of customer support resources, webinars, video tutorials, live chats, and other easily accessible documentation.
File sharing features
An excellent project management tool will make it easy for you to organize documents and projects, reducing your time while searching for files.
All team members should be able to update themselves on the entire project when needed. A seamless reporting system ensures that project managers can track the progress of the tasks.
A project management tool should be easy to assign and update tasks for everyone on your team to be on the same page.
Most project management tools have calendars, Gantt charts, and milestone tools to help you know where a task fits in projects.
Schedules also help you know how much time it will take to complete a task.
How to Choose a Project Management Tool?
Before you settle for any tool for your business, you must ensure that it meets your requirements. Choosing a project management tool is no different. You should ensure that you select a tool that you are ready to use and your whole team.
Here are 9 steps you must follow to ensure that you choose the suitable remote work tool kit for your organization.
1. Have an outline of the features you need from a project management tool
2. Research on the best project management tools available
3. Test out different remote work tool kits. You can take advantage of the free trial here
4. Get feedback from your teams to know which tool they will prefer
5. Compare the costs of the different tools and choose one that matches your budget
6. Get the executive to buy in the app you choose
7. Purchase the project management tool
8. Implement the project management tool and train your team on how they need to use the app
9. Analyze the performance of the app with a retrospective.
Before settling for any project management tool, you must first evaluate your workflow needs and do extensive research.
The number of tools available can be overwhelming. Moreover, most of these tools can be integrated into any industry and any team size, but many factors will go into refining your workflows for your teams, projects, and clients.
Ensure you research and reflect on the type of support your team needs and look for, helps, helps software that will help you and your team improve your work processes.